Tis the season for squash! All sorts we’ll find at the grocery right now, and this recipe is a quick, easy and creative way to make Acorn Squash with very little mess! Give it a shot!
Watch us make Acorn Squash on FOX “Good Day Charlotte”
and remember to tune in to the Daily Special on FOX every Monday to see what I’ll be cooking in the kitchen!
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 apple, any variety
- 3 slices nitrate free turkey bacon (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the squash in half and scoop the seeds out. Place on the baking sheet and roast until the flesh is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to the touch.
- Dice the apple and onion into medium-sized pieces. Slice the bacon into pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon. Add the onion and apple and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened and translucent. Put this in a mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet brown the ground beef and drain. Add all spices and herbs: rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, sage, pepper, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Pour the ground beef into the same large bowl. Stir to combine.
- When the squash is cool to the touch, use a spoon to scoop out some of the flesh and mix into the beef.
- Use a spoon to fill the squash boats with the beef mixture.
- Return the squash to the oven and bake another 15 minutes at 375 until everything is heated through.