As a personal trainer and person who just overall loves everything about fitness I often find myself going back and forth on whether or not running is good for us. I am not a runner, at least I’ve never been educated on it, but I do run about 3 times a week after heavy weight training days as a form of low intensity cardio. From a personal perspective I love it, and I’ll go into the reasons why I love it later, but for a lot of people I would have to stop and say be cautious. If you’ve been sitting on the couch, not active for a long period of time, I cannot recommend going out for a 3 mile run, your body will not be happy with you at all.
So, where do we start, what should we know, and how can we make running a healthy part of our life? I’ve done the digging for you, and reached out to some local experts to find out the most important things to know. Over the next 5 weeks I will share with you my journey into becoming an educated runner and here are the upcoming blog posts that you can expect to see!
- If The Shoe Fits – I ask experienced Tri-athlete and owner of The Charlotte Running Company Donny Forsyth everything we should know about the shoes we’re wearing when running.
- What To Wear When – We ask friend and fitness blogger Lucy Parker Randall what clothing we should be prepared to have and what to wear when.
- Food For Thought – What do we eat before and after our run to ensure we’re at our healthiest?
- A Good Stretch – One of the most important parts of all fitness is the rehab, here are some great yoga poses and stretches to consider for healing fast!
- Where Did The Time Go – Wearing running watches to track distance and speed to help us improve our run
- Staying Committed – Setting a goal, inviting friends and running for a cause
So, To Run or Not To Run…. I say we run, but we’re going to do it in a way that gets us to be our best!
Over the next 5 weeks we’ll cover all of these topics and this will lead me into my own personal goal of running my first half marathon in Kiawah Island South Carolina! I was asked if I’d be interested in running with some good friends and I’ve decided to accept the challenge!
Be sure to follow me over the next few weeks so I can share my progress and everything I learn along the way. It’s not always about whether or not the type of exercise is good or bad, as much as it is about are we doing the exercise correctly. Form in everything we do must be the first and most important focus.